Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Damn liver! Shrink!!!

Okay, to be completely honest, the liver shrinking diet is HARD.  Not that I thought it would be easy, but it's much, much harder than I thought it would be.

So, on the recommendation of my surgeon, I'm on a diet that is supposed to shrink my liver to a more normal size, and make it possible for me to go through surgery successfully.  I'm supposed to have two protein shakes per day, and then a regular evening meal.

The protein shakes aren't that bad.  The brand the dietitian suggested comes in not-overly-disgusting flavours like cake batter and brownie batter.  They keep you full for long enough.  They're easy enough to make.

But a protein shake is not food.  I can't chew it.  I can't swallow huge half-chewed chunks of food that satisfy me in some weird way.  I can't stuff my face full of it, and let my feelings melt away as I eat... then overeat... then continue eating far past full.  The problem with the protein shakes is that they are a twice-daily reminder of all the problems I have with food in the first place.  By consuming the protein shakes instead of my regular over-indulgences, I have to face the fact that if I want to go through with the surgery and change myself, my eating habits will need to permanently change.  Forever.  End of story.

And that is hard to swallow, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment