Monday, October 7, 2013

Motivational Mondays

My motivation this week comes from my love of crocheting (and crafting in general).

Yarn is expensive.  I fly a lot for work, so I often crochet while waiting in airports and on flights.  Awhile ago, while working on a pair of socks, a lady commented on how much money I must save by crocheting my own socks.  I just about spit out my Jugo Juice smoothie (I'll save my love of Jugo Juice for another post). I smiled politely, and told her that the yarn for these particular socks was more than $20 for the skein.  That, combined with the 10 or so hours it was going to take me to finish them made for a very expensive pair of foot coverings.

Anyway, I digress.  It occurred to me today while yarn shopping that the weight I lose will result in direct savings in yarn costs.  The smaller the size I wear = the smaller the pattern = less yarn required.  This may seem trivial, but when you're buying 5 balls of yarn for a sweater, and each ball is upwards of $20 (hey, I like the fine things in life), saving one or two balls adds up to a lot.

Never mind the time savings!  Crocheting a medium vs. a XXL?  Crazy!  Plus there are infinitely more patterns for the regular sizes (small - large) than there are for plus sizes.

I think I've just hit a mental jackpot.  It's funny where motivation can come from!


No comments:

Post a Comment